Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry

The last post was done in haste, and today also I wanted to post something real quick, but then decided against it when I came across these pictures.








And an idea hit me.

You see, the dish that got made with the above ingredients has a history. It got done so quickly over a chat conversation! Yes, and if you have already seen Nags' awesome pictures and post of Stir Fried Broccoli with Mushrooms and Bean Sprouts, you can guess that the person who guided me over chat was Nags.

So, the idea was - why not share the conversation in a post with these pictures and show you how easy it is to cook over chat! But some background before the actual chat first.

I had picked up mushrooms and broccoli and got home around 12:00 p.m. one day and wanted to make something with both since my daughter likes them. I quickly chopped them, logged in and searched for Nags' recipe, and realized I didn't have a few of the ingredients. I was also unsure how to judge whether the mushrooms were cooked once I got started, so I checked if she was online.

I sure was lucky that day, because here's the conversation we had:

(The ingredients I didn't have/ use are italicized)

12:25 PM me: hi Naga
Nags: hey

me: QQ - how do you know when mushrooms are cooked
button mushrooms

Nags: they dont need much time
what dish are u making

12:26 PM me: I'm inspired by your broccoli mushroom dish

Nags: :)

me: though I'm not using soya and corn flour
my daughter likes both broccoli and mushrooms, so i thought of combining both and making a dish to suit herr tastebuds (no soya:-() just onions
12:27 PM no bell pepper too

Nags: oh hmm, yeah onions should be enough actually

me: k

Nags: i make something with just broccoli and onions

me: is it ok to add tomatoes?

Nags: but a little bit of soya sauce really helps
yeah why not
12:28 PM maybe u can puree and add so that it has a base

me: k, that shud give her the flavour she likes
ok cool

Nags: the mushroom gets soft very quijcly and becomes a deeper colour

me: k, i used garlic too
12:29 PM added a little salt and pepper, that shud be enuf?

Nags: more than :)

me: i'm doing it as i chat wiht u ok

Nags: simple yet flavourful
:)

me: cool, so i'll wait for colour to change and turn off?

Nags: yes, test one piece if u are unsure

me: coz i just made mushrooms once before

Nags: wont take too long

me: long back
k cool

Nags: even broccoli cooks super quick

me: softness indicates cooked?
yeah

Nags: yes

12:30 PM me: cool, think its done..thanks!:D

Nags: shudnt be rubbery

me: great! :D

Nags: enjoy!

me: wow my dish is done over chat

Nags: hahah this is awesome

me: yeah, thank God you were available, i just logged in to check ..

12:31 PM Nags: :)

me: after cutting all stuff and keeping the pan on the stove
take care have a great day ahead

Nags: u too

me: catch u later

Nags: bye for now

me: have to go pick her now:D


From the time stamp in the above chat conversation, you can deduce that my dish was done in 5 minutes!



Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

Mushrooms - I used button mushrooms - about 1 1/2 cups after halving each
Broccoli - 1 big head cut cut into floret
Onions - 2 medium sized - finely chopped
Garlic - 2 - 3 cloves - peeled and pounded
Tomatoes - 2 - finely chopped

Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp

Method:

  • Heat oil and saute the onions and garlic
  • Add the tomatoes, mushrooms and broccoli and stir fry until the mushrooms and broccoli are cooked
  • Add salt and pepper to taste and mix well


Serve with Rice/ Chapathi



In case anyone is wondering: I actually keep chopped tomatoes ready in the refrigerator each day, so I could quickly grab the box and add them to this dish. This makes it so much easier to cook pasta or tomato chutney or any dish requiring tomato as a base. I also have chopped onions, peeled ginger and garlic ready for use everyday. And yes, I was chatting from the kitchen.

11 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy recipe

Raks said...

Looks nice,me too always cook to please my kid :) Nice post !

Tina said...

Easy n healthy dish...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Great Recipe . Nice combination of mushroom and broccolis.
Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

amna said...

I should start offering chat support for the blog :D Great post Shreya, this was fun!

Egypt Property said...

thank you mom
Cook Recipes
Kitchen Shop

Priya Rao said...

awesome recipe...gud combination

process inticators chennai said...

Nice recipe, i think this combination will be different..

mobile comparison site said...

Thanks for sharing such an information with us..it will be healthy to kids..

Clipping Path said...

Great post.thank you so much.Love this blog.

Shark Navigator Lift-Away said...

WOW! It's amazing! Thanks.