Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dry Gobi (Cauliflower) with Spring Onions

First, I would like to thank Valarmathi of Simple and Yummy Recipes, for passing me the Blogging Friends Forever award. I am so excited about receiving the award again, and all the friends I have made, and will make through this blog! I would love to pass this award to all the bloggers who visit and continue to encourage me to keep posting...

To begin with the Cauliflower with Spring Onions (scallion, green onion, salad onion), this is the first time I made something with spring onions. I never knew what to do with them, and was quite lost when R bought a pack when he shopped for groceries one weekend. I did google for recipes, but was more confused with all the results which were alien to me (I don't make salads! Yeah, not a healthy eater).

Thankfully, R had also bought cauliflower, and I decided I'd just chop those spring onions into whatever I would make with the cauliflower. I normally use onions, and therefore, it was easy to substitute them with the spring onions, including the green leaves. To make Dry Gobi with Spring Onions, you will need:

Gobi/ Cauliflower - 4-5 cups of evenly broken florets

When cooking, the outer leaves and thick stalks are removed, leaving only the florets. The leaves are also edible, but are most often discarded. The florets should be broken into similar-sized pieces so they are cooked evenly. After eight minutes of steaming, or five minutes of boiling, the florets should be soft, but not mushy (depending on size). Stirring while cooking can break the florets into smaller, uneven pieces. - Wikipedia

Spring Onions - chopped - about 2 cups
Tomatoes - chopped - 3 large
Green chilly - sliced - 1
Ginger - peeled and pounded - 1 tbsp
Garlic - peeled and pounded - 2 tsp/ 3-4 medium sized cloves
Lemon - 1/2 slice
Coriander leaves - chopped - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Jeera/ Cumin seeds powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Water - 2 cups
Salt - to taste


Method:
  • After breaking the washed cauliflower florets into similar-sized pieces, boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan, remove from stove, add the cauliflower pieces, squeeze the lemon juice over it, add about a tsp of salt, mix well, and leave covered for 30 minutes.
Note: This does not cook the cauliflower. This helps to clean the cauliflower, and retain the white colour of the cauliflower.
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped spring onions, ginger, garlic, green chilly, and tomatoes
  • Mix well, and toss in all the powders except pepper and garam masala
  • Keep covered, and cook on low flame until tomatoes are cooked, stirring in between

  • Drain the water completely from the cauliflower pieces, and add them to the tomato-spring onion mixture
  • Add the garam masala powder, pepper, and salt to taste and mix well, taking care not to break the cauliflower
  • Leave this to cook for another 5-10 minutes, covered and on low flame, until the cauliflower pieces are cooked well, but not mushy
  • Garnish with chopped coriander leaves


Serve with chapathi/ roti

Below, I have a picture of the same dish prepared with normal onions, instead of spring onions. As you will notice, the cauliflower became a little mushy and broken in this one:D

29 comments:

amna said...

i love the flavor of spring onions :)

Adam said...

Wow. I like how all the colors come together in the last picture. They all meld and belong together, like a veggie party.

Congrats on your award. You're becoming quite the collector :)

ST said...

Dry gobi looks awesome and superb....

Vaishali said...

Shreya, this looks so appetizing and delicious. I love the cauliflower-spring onion pairing: it sounds perfect.

Swapna said...

Hi, am passing on the Booky meme to u..visit my blog please. :)

Lore said...

Yay, this looks deliciously perfect for someone how loves cauliflower like myself!
Also thanks for the tip on how to retain its white colour :)

Cris said...

Hello... me too, I'm sorry I haven't been around... This is one of my favorites, I have made dry gobi so many times, I will try your recipe too, because I love the flavor of these spices.

Dhivya said...

nice step by step pictures..looks so yum

Sum Raj said...

i luc this combo so much..urs have come out really delicious and looks tempting and inviting too..

bee said...

have your tried coking with the cauliflower leaves instead of discarding them? they are tasty and very nutritious.

Indian Khana said...

Looks yummy...& as said by others...the pic is so colourful ..Congrats for you Award
inbtw buys kya? Didn't see you for a long time now ;)

Anisheetu said...

Thanks for visiting my blog... yes amsul is Kokum.. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks good. This is the way my mom makes it too, except for the tomatoes.

Are you in Mumbai? I have a list of all Mumbai bloggers going on mine so would like to add you.

Jayashree said...

Spring onions and cauliflower make for a great combo.

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Spring onions give that extra bite to almost any salad. This looks wonderful. My mom made a cauliflower casserole when we were growing up. While that was a very different recipe, it had similar flavor and colors to yours, which brought back nice memories!

Unknown said...

wow... nice entry... looks yummy & great

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Dry gobi looks yum and different too...

Purva Desai said...

Gobi in anyform is welcome......combo is really gr8....
with regards to ur query......I always use Pineapple.......y dont u try it with Apple.....
lets see how it taste....:)

Cham said...

I never paired spring onion with gobi :) Looks delicous :)

Madhavi said...

Great entry, dry gobi look delicious !!!

Trupti said...

i never try spring onion with gobi..will try this recipe soon. Thanks

kat said...

Oh this sounds wonderful!

Vibaas said...

thanks shreya. as usual your curry looks good :)

Shreya said...

Nags - Remember I had pinged you and asked about spring onions? Well, this is what I did with them:D Thanks!
Adam - Thanks. I do wish I could collect more awards than the same one more than 3 times!:-)
Swapna - Thanks for the Book MeMe. Will do it soon.
Cris - Do try and let me know how you like it! Thanks.
Bee - No, I have never cooked the leaves of the cauliflower. The leaves don't look healthy for the cauliflower we buy from here :-(. If they are home grown, I guess you can always be sure of the freshness and quality, to use them in cooking. Will try if I find any interesting recipes and good quality cauliflower
Priti - Thanks, I've been a little busy than usual!:-)
Sripriya, Madhavi - Thanks. This is not an entry to any event. I could have sent ito Curry Mela, but didn't think of it!
Purva - Thanks. I will try with apple and let you know:-)
Sireesha, Vaishali, Lore, Dhivya, Suma, Anisheetu, Simran, Jayashree, T.W.Barritt, Priar's, Cham, Trupti, Kat, Vibaas - Thanks so much!:-)

paresh said...

thanks for detailed procedure.

EC said...

Colourful curry

Purva Desai said...

Wishing you Happy Friendship Day :)

Chef Jeena said...

I love cauliflower and this looks so delish!

Unknown said...

nice blog! Excellent recipe and great photography. thankyou for shearing this information with us!chowringhee satyaniketan